Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Spring Chicks

My dad hatched about 25 little baby chicks last week and all the kids have totally been eating them up. A few of the lucky ones have names, and a few of the unlucky ones have been dropped, squeezed, shook, etc. Although I do believe there have been no casualties. Jada even took a couple to school for show and tell. Fun times at Grandpa's Farm.

Jada holding "Crystal".

Inside the chicken coop.

Not too sure about holding one.

Trying to persuade him.

Yes! All by himself!

Ready to give it up.

Giving himself a clap.

He's so proud:)

A couple of months ago I sent Jada and Caleb to get in the van so we could go somewhere. I had to get Beckham up early from his nap and I was going to try to get him in his carseat and keep him asleep. Jada and Caleb like to climb up on a tote and open up the garage door. They usually fight over who gets to push it and today was no different. They were opening and closing it and arguing the whole time. When it was on it's way down, Rio, the neighbor's big black lab (who Caleb was scared of anyway) came sliding in before it shut. So he was trapped inside and pretty frantic about it. Jada and Caleb were equally frantic, well I'd say more terrified. Caleb came tearing into the house screaming and crying and I thought Jada had gotten stuck under the garage door and was dying. So I took off and got to the garage just as she was coming in. Anyway, I let Rio out, we all had a good cry, and Caleb has pretty much been terrified of all animals ever since. So there you have it. That is why holding a cute and fluffy baby chick was such a big deal:)

4 comments:

Megan said...

Sounds like a good reason to be terrified, to me. =) I was always scared of the hens at my grandparents' house; I thought for sure when I gathered the eggs they would peck my arms! =)

ROB AND HOLLY said...

Seeing all of those baby chicks reminds me of the time we cracked open a bloody egg when we were making french toast one time...remember??

Kaelee said...

I will never get tired of that dog story.

Erin said...

I am proud of Caleb. Considering all his animal trauma that is quite an accomplishment. They both look so cute with the chicks. I still have a video clip of Jada and Sydney when they dropped a bird egg on the sidewalk and the "baby juice" came out. Classic. I really need to get you our videos of your kids.