Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Moment of Insanity

Last year when my sister was visiting from Texas she was training for a half-marathon and for the duration of her visit I was her partner. I ran with her on the short days (2-3 miles) but on the long days (7-8 miles) I would ride alongside her on my bike and offer my moral support while backpedaling and enjoying the nice ride. So many times I would think, "I'm so glad that's not me", especially when the rain was pelting my face and the wind was blowing so hard we could hardly keep upright (oh fond memories, right Melis and Nat?). This year my cousin Heidi is training for the half-marathon in St. George in January so I've been thinking about it a lot . Today I was online and did something totally spontaneous and that I will surely regret. I registered for it! And I enlisted my husband to do it with me:)

Reasons for running the half:
-Runners are my heroes. Outwardly I claim that they're crazy, but deep down I really do admire them.
-I want to do something for myself that doesn't involve my kids.
-I want to accomplish something I can be proud of.
-I want to have runner's legs:)

I'm really really scared, but also really super excited. So if anyone has tips or advise, please send it my way!

17 comments:

A said...

I DEFINATELY dont have any advice but Good Luck! I know you can do it and Im kinda sure Casey can. :) Ha ha. Just kidding. (saw you riding bike today! I waved but not sure you knew it was me :)

Megan said...

I have no running experience, but I wish you good luck! I'm sure you'll be deservedly proud of yourself after you've accomplished it!

Renee said...

You go Heather. It is a huge deal. You will do so well. I always see casey running on the tread anyway. And, you are in great shape. Mark my word you will want to cry at the finish. See you there.

ROB AND HOLLY said...

Good for you! When is it? I'll come cheer for you at the finish line!

Teri's Life said...

Holy crap! Good luck with that! I admire you for doing that.

Kaelee said...

You know I'm jealous, I've thought every day about how, if I wasn't pregnant, I would be training to run something. Just go to Runnersworld.com and they have different ways to train for different lengths of races. Maybe I'll fly back and do it too, a couple weeks after I give birth.

Tobler's said...

Wow, Good Luck! That is awesome! You will do great and what a great accomplishment! I seriously would die after the first mile so, sorry no advice from me! :)

Travis and Rhonda said...

Good for you! I can only speak from Travis' marathon experience. Get fitted for a running shoe at a real running store--there's some great ones in Vegas. The runnersworld.com is a great website, also active.com. Good luck!

Nat said...

three miles....seriously casey? i say do the whole marathon. go big or go home ya know? thats way cool though. ill come watch you run in. and i am ready to ride some more bike miles for moral support. my question is, why hasn't melissa commented on this yet? come on expert.

Nathan and Dianna Wiley said...

Get good shoes.. That's about it from me. I had great intentions to get into running until I broke my toe and then I was glad for the excuse. In the meantime, my flubadub, as I so lovingly call my babyfat tummy, is not getting any smaller!! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Erin said...

You guys are CRAZY! CRAZY AWESOME that is! It's late so don't mind the ridiculousness of this comment (is that even a word). I could never do it but Heather you know my work-out ethic. You guys will do awesome and Chet and I will be waiting at the finish line to cheer you on and take your finish line pics.

Erin said...

BTW I now know a hand and arm massage so if your in town give me a call so I can practice.

Kylene said...

I give you props for even registering! I've wanted to do a marathon for the past 2 years cuz I think it is a great accomplishment but I REALLY hate running so I've never been brave taken the dive..... so good luck! I'll be watching for updates! ;)

The McCarthys said...

Wow Heather! You're awesome, I definitely will not be coming by to get you when I walk by Casey's parent's house ;). I am not a runner... But I think that is so cool that you are doing that. If you need someone to ride a bike by you for support.. I"m your gal :D

Jason and Joanna said...

good question.. no idea why she wont take her ont he 24th- it's the hospitals rules that you have to be a week overdue, so I wonder if it's the hospital that wouldn't let her come on the 24th... but good question. maybe i'll ask the doc on wednesday at our appointment. im just ready for her to be out. :p

Joe and Heidi said...

Yah, Thats awesome. I hear ya on the RUNNERS LEGS. Some day right.

A said...

its up to you on kids or no kids at Cafe Rio! Im up for whatever! Call me or I will call you and discuss :)