Friday, August 27, 2010

Thunder Thighs

I love Beckham's thunder thighs. I think they're awesome. But they did get us into a bit of trouble last night. I put him to bed and he was out. He usually goes right down and I don't hear from him until about 11 hours later. But last night he kept crying out, not for long, just long enough where I thought he must be kinda restless sleeping. After about an hour he started to cry real good. So I went in to check on him and his little leg was sticking through the slat of the crib. He does this quite often when he sleeps, so I went to put it back in and re-situate him and it was stuck. Like, really stuck. After about five minutes of trying to get him out I started to panic. What do I do? Break his leg trying to get him out? Break the slats of the crib? (I actually did try to but I guess my bare hands weren't strong enough...) Of course Casey was out of town last night. So I went to my second option. My neighbor, who happens to be a paramedic. Now, I'm sure it didn't have to be a paramedic to help me out, but it sure does make you feel better, you know? Not only is he a paramedic he's also Casey's home teaching partner. Double score. So I called him at 10:30 and said my baby's got his leg stuck in the crib, can you come help? He came right over with a jar of Vaseline his wife said to bring. (Great idea, I hadn't thought of that.) He lathered Beckham's thigh (Beckham is screaming the whole time, of course). Then he had me lift Beckham's body while he maneuvered his leg. Wha la. Came right out. Beckham was a little traumatized and I rocked that poor baby back to sleep. Thank goodness he's fine today and doesn't seem to remember the trauma of last night. And thank goodness for helpful and willing neighbors. He's got a big plate of cookies coming his way today:)

5 comments:

Jason and Joanna said...

what a great neighbor! That's gotta be so super scary! But good work on thinking of your second option.I'm glad Beckham is just fine!

Erin said...

I love that you tried to brake the crib on your own. When you first told me the story that is what I was thinking. At least now you know a less expensive, probably easier solution. Glad Beckham is not traumatized.

Kaelee said...

I second the great neighbor thing. And PS: wha la = voila. But I like your way better.

Megan said...

That is scary! Glad your neighbor could come over so quickly to help. Glad Beckham is ok. It's a good thing little kids are so resilient, isn't it?!

Anonymous said...

Scary, Sad, and funny too. That happened to Connor (Chip's son). He got his head stuck in the steering wheel and they used a stick of butter to get him out. I love these stories and all the resources used to rescue our kids. Gotta love em.