Monday, June 9, 2008

Jada Baylee

This week Jada and I get to fly down to Houston for her fourth and hopefully final surgery. Here's some background on our little Jada: She was a big baby and during delivery she had some nerve damage in her right shoulder. As a result, her right arm and hand were completely paralyzed for 5 months until her first surgery. There are very few surgeons in the country who deal with this, and after tons of research we decided on Dr. Nath in Houston, TX (he is the BEST surgeon). So she has had three surgeries and tons of physical therapy and she has been so blessed to have gotten back a lot of movement. This surgery will be on the bone in her forearm. We are trying to get her arm as straight as possible in order for the nerves to grow better. Jada and I will go down by ourselves since it's not as major as the other three surgeries have been. So we're excited, scared, anxious, and ready. Wish us luck!!!




Jada's first surgery. It's true that the younger they are the quicker the recovery. She was awesome, she bounced right back and acted like nothing had happened!


Second surgery. She did not come out of this one very well. She whined and cried for about an hour. She is such a trooper with these splints, though. She had to wear this for six weeks in the middle of the summer. Not fun!


Third surgery last September. She wore this splint for six weeks without EVER taking it off, then had to sleep in it for three months. I would complain the whole time, but she never did.
I love this girl!

13 comments:

Lyndsi said...

Good luck Heather and Jada! I hope all goes well (as I'm sure it will) What a trooper not to take it off. Especially for how big it is!

Kylene said...

I had no idea! Seriously, she is one tough lil' cookie! What a girl. Best of Luck! She'll do great cuz she's basically a veteran at this point, right? ;) Much love to you guys!<3

Min and Mary said...

I can't imagine what Jada, not to mention YOU and Casey, have to go through emotionally with all these surgeries. We're supposed to put Charlotte under the knife to have a little cyst on her nose removed, but Min and I can't bring ourselves to commit because the anesthesia scares us. Any advice? Kylene's right, at this point you guys must feel like veterans! Good luck!

Melissa said...

we love you jada! wish we could come see you in houston!

The McCarthys said...

Oh my gosh! How strong you guys must all be. I can't even imagine. Good luck to you and Jada. I think it's so amazing the medical advances that make it possible to do these kinds of things. We send you all our love!

Jason and Joanna said...

Good luck! Jada is such a cute little girl. Jason and I both wish you guys the best. We miss seeing y'all at church... especially Jada and Calob's little smiles!

Erin said...

Jada is so cute and she is such a tough girl, we love her. Good luck in Texas we know she will do great. If we don't see you before have a safe flight and we'll be excited to see you guys when you get back.

David and Jaycee said...

This comment is also in connection with the past entries you've posted....I've totally had my "worst mom in the world" days, you seriously feel like crap (especially retelling the story to your husband!) Caleb is way too yummy! Good luck with the trip our prayers will be with you! We love you!
Jaycee
p.s. I love that Caleb laughed at his moms naked body!
At least he wasn't mortified and traumatized for life, right?

Janalee said...

Good luck! It may be kind of fun to have some girl time, despite the situation. You are two brave girls. Our prayers are with you.

Stacie and Kai said...

Good luck Heath...I would be scared to go all the way to Houston by myself under those circumstances but you don't even seem bothered by it! Let us know how things go..or if you need ANYTHING.

Nathan and Dianna Wiley said...

Had no clue about this! Dido to all the above comments, about your strength and Jada being so patient with it all! Good luck, I'm sure you will do just fine, as will Jada! The Doc's nowadays can do just about anything!!!

Natalie said...

yikes - that's tough for her & you. I'm glad the surgeries have been successful! BTW I have the same maternity shirt from Old Navy in that picture...

A said...

Hey Heath-I hope all went well in Texas. It was so fun to get together the other day. Maili had a ball with your two! Let me know how everything went for you and Jada! Lots of Love and you guys are in our prayers!